Before major edits remember to select File/Save As Backup to create a copy
of your data in case you want to return to a prior point in time. In addition TA creates backup copies of your
data when you select actions like Build/New. The backup files are typically stored in this location:
C:\Program Files\Sync Essentials\TradeAccountant PRO_3.7.00\ta_data_files
When downloading data from a brokerage web site use these setting to allow TA to recognize
the file and prevent another application from capturing the file. If another application
captures the file then you will not be able to save it.
- Within TAPro, select View/Properties.
- Within the Properties dialog, select Associated File Types. These file type include data formatted
using .XML or other standard record formats. Typically TA can import a file if it is
in one of the formats listed in this menu.
- Select the check boxes for Import .QIF, .QFX and
.OFX, this enables TAPro to directly receive these files during the
- Select OK
II. Download a Transaction File
Download steps are unique to each brokerage. If the instructions are not sufficient on the TA
site please check the support site for more recent information. During the year users share information
discovered while working with TA and their brokerage.
- Log into your account.
- Navigate to Accounting. This link will lead to the clearing firm
site (Penson). Or look for a similar link if the site has changed.
- Respond to the security questions if necessary.
- Select Reports/Investment Data Download
- Specify a date range then select Download to Money.
- When download is complete, use File/Import/File to load the data into TA.
III. Import Transactions
TAPro 3.7 includes an automatic import profile for some brokerages. After you select the file that you want to import
TAPro will determine if an existing Profile can import the file. If automatic
import is possible then a menu appears with this option. Otherwise use manual import.
If a file contains new transactions types that TAPro is unfamiliar with then an error may prevent
automatic file import and require manual file import or editing of the file to remove the exotic new
- Select File/Import/Transactions.
If guidance is needed then after starting the import, select manual and
follow the steps in the menus that appear. At the beginning of the manual process
create a new profile name or select an existing profile. TAPro will attempt
to reuse this profile for each import of the same type file to the same account
If there is an error in the profile you may need to select manual import.
During manual import if the profile does not work you may need to remove it and repeat the import.
To remove a profile select Import Rules/Profile Manager from the File/Import
- TA can import transactions that are saved in many standard formats including .OFX, .XML,
.csv (comma delimited) and .txt (tab delimited). However such files have formats that are
different for each brokerage. TA 3.7 introduced automatic file imports for select brokerages
.csv and .txt file. In such cases TA attempts to import the file without requiring guidance.
- If a problem is encountered during import, make a note of the error and send an email to
support along with a copy of the file. Automatic import relies on knowledge of each transaction
type else the parser does not know how to categorize unexpected information.
- When an import error appears during an automatic import attempt it is also possible to edit
the file to remove the likely causes (transactions like Deposit Cash, ACH Fees, etc. then
try again. Alternatively use the manual import method.
IV. Enter Data Manually:
- You can import date from almost any .csv file into TA as long as certain columns
appear. Refer to the supported brokerage page for heading examples.
- You can manually enter trades from the Transaction Screen by
selecting the Add button.
V. Import Symbols
During import TA builds a list of unique symbols and uses that information when transactions are imported.
This means there is one central place for editing symbol information. Select Edit/Symbol(s) - Add/Modify
to directly change symbol information in TA. Alternatively use File/Export/Symbol Details to create a file
with all of your symbol information. Then you can edit the file and import it.
Training Videos (with voice):